I remember growing up having these toasties on the braai 🤤 they were always such a highlight for me! I think they called “ToeBrooidjies” ???
Well anyway, I thought I’d create my version of these on my Cobb but with a killer omelette in between! The real secret is the little mozzarella balls that then melt and give you this melted stringy cheese vibe that’s too die for!!
- A splash of oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- a handful chopped spinach
- 125g mushrooms sliced
- 1 pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 3 eggs, beaten
- A handful baby Mozzarella balls (boccancini)
- A pinch of oregano
- Salt and pepper to season
TO SERVE WITH
- 2 sandwich thins or 4 sliced of bread
WHAT TO DO
- To prepare the omelette, heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan then sauté the spinach, mushrooms, peppers, red onion & garlic. Add the beaten eggs and cook the eggs on a low temperature until firm.
- Add the baby mozzarella balls and fold half the egg over to make the omelette.
- In the pancut the omelette in half with a spatula
- Place a slice of bread under one half of the omelette and a slice on top, briefly toast the bread and serve. Repeat with the other half of the omelette.
Note: Baby mozzarella balls are called bocconcini. You can use cheddar cheese, feta or grated mozzarella in this recipe.