So, in the video for ‘These Streets’ you see
me wake up on a mattress in a street in Alex,
FOR THE GATSBY
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chips
- 500 ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying (+ 1 tbsp)
- 2 tsps ginger-and-garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 g tenderised steak, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp brown onion soup powder
For the sauce
- Equal parts mayonnaise, tomato sauce and sweet chilli sauce
- 2 large soft baguettes
Butter, for the baguette
- Handful shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
PREP-TIME 15 MIN
COOKING TIME 30 MIN
- To make the chips, place the potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes have just softened, then remove from the heat, drain and pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a pot and deep-fry the potato chips until golden. Place the chips on paper towel to drain, then set aside and keep warm.
- Mix together the ginger-and-garlic paste, chilli flakes, coriander, curry powder, cumin and salt and combine with the steak, making sure the steak is well coated with the spices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until soft, then add the steak and fry for 5–6 minutes until the meat has browned.
- Add the tomato, brown sugar and brown onion soup powder, mix well and cook until the meat is tender and the steak sauce has thickened.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Cut open the baguettes, butter each side and spread with the sauce. Add a layer of lettuce, tomato and cucumber, and then a layer of chips. Finish with the steak and steak sauce, and top with some grated Cheddar if you like. Close the sandwich and enjoy!
ALL RECIPES PROPERTY OF ©J'SOMETHING 2017. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
PUBLISHED IN SOMETHING'S COOKING OCTOBER, 2017.
Please contact Dale at email@example.com for permissions, rights for re-posting, referencing and publishing, as well as all brand and media
More great recipes in J'Something's new cookbook